One of my regular clients for Spanish-English translations is the website Aleteia.org., which publishes Catholic news and spirituality articles. Many of the articles are the work of the site’s own team of authors and reporters (including one by me that started off as a simple translation of some words of Pope Francis); others are culled from other reliable Catholic web sources.
I’ve worked with them for over a year now and it’s always a pleasure to see something from Aleteia in my inbox – not just because it’s work (which is always a good thing), but because I enjoy the subject matter. I spent many years as a member of a Catholic religious community, working in and for the Church, and although my life and employment have changed, I still carry the Church in my blood. That makes translating Catholic news and spirituality often both enjoyable and enriching (and sometimes uncomfortable, in a good way – the message sometimes pushes me out of my comfort zone, as the Gospel should…). The most interesting of all nowadays is translating articles about Pope Francis, who never ceases both to challenge and surprise me.
If you’d like to read some interesting Catholic articles and get a taste of how I translate, here are some I find particularly interesting:
- A missionary nun’s insights into ISIS
- A priest saving children from human trafficking
- A difficult but formative experience in Pope Francis’ youth
- A candid interview with Pope Francis – a bit challenging to translate because of the informal and somewhat unstructured nature of a spontaneous conversation!
- 10 recommendations from St. Thomas Aquinas
- Testimony of someone who was conceived during rape and is grateful to her mother for not aborting her
If you need Spanish to English translations on any topic, contact me for a quote.